Friday, September 10, 2010

Quitting

I quit my job last week, after 4 years of diligently working to meet the unending demands of the company and the customers. My career history has felt long and has taken unexpected turns, but in the end, each job reminded me of the fact that indentured servitude is very much the norm today:

An indentured servant was a worker, typically a laborer or tradesman, under contract to an employer for a fixed period of time, typically three to seven years, in exchange for their transportation, food, clothing, lodging and other necessities. (wikipedia)

When the news of my resignation spread among my colleagues, many of them revealed their frustration with the conditions the job imposes upon them. A sense of envy was noticed in their voices for wanting to be able to quit as I was doing, but they were quick to point out their defeat by the current system which requires them to pay for their mortgages, kids' education, food, and other bills. I sympathize with their situations, but sadly, I haven't enough money to release them from their indentured servitude. I'm merely taking a necessary reprieve for myself, but I know my servitude will be required once again. The best option I have at this point is to cooperate with the Zeitgeist Movement to open people's minds to the current conditioning of the economic/monetary system and to suggest a more responsible system of meeting human needs.

In comparing the responses of my coworkers to the definition from wiki, it's easy to notice the remarkable similarities. In fact, not one said, "Oh, the job is rough, but I am just passionate about what I'm doing so it's worth the frustration."

Indeed, there are some people in jobs that they love and for them the current system is good enough. However, to isolate oneself from the sorrow created by the current system is merely an exercise in creating dullness. It's like shuttering yourself in a room to avoid the Outside, but that ultimately limits perception and the fullness of life's experiences. All you see is the decorations of your own mind. The creature comforts of your own thoughts will soon become your prison. I feel glad when I hear a story of someone who is enriched by the work they do and they earn enough to live on, but I don't think they are necessarily opposed to any change, even if they can only see that change as a benefit to others.

While working with the Zeitgeist Movement, I will also be focusing on finding a way to carve out a new way to earn a living. I need to do this for me. I may fail, but I must try.

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to you for quitting your job and taking a reprieve. Some jobs have sabbaticals built in as part of the job. I'm of the belief that we should all be given or, if need be, take sabbaticals to recharge our creative juices and figure out what our next steps are and how we can best contribute our talents to the world. Sometimes, it's a perfect match and our passions can fund all of our needs, obligations and desires. But that seems to be the exception, rather than the rule. So, enjoy your reprieve.

    ReplyDelete